[Cialug] Linux equivalent to OS X hdiutil

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Jun 19 11:23:35 CDT 2009

On Jun 19, 2009, at 9:11 AM, Tom Pohl wrote:

> I'd bet TrueCrypt will give you what you're looking for with the added
> benefit of encryption :)
>
> http://www.truecrypt.org/

Have they added support for sparse images on non-NTFS parent file
systems? Last I saw you had to be running Windows to use a sparse disk
image, and had to be willing to reveal your sector usage bitmap in
order to do that.

Regardless, compressed and read-write is a tall order on any OS
(hdiutil doesn't do it either) -- there are several choices for
building disk images on linux, several of which can be used while
compressed, but the only thing I've ever heard of that allows read-
write access to a compressed store is some of the FUSE frontends ZIP
files and the like.

	Zach