[Cialug] MIDI anyone?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Jun 19 09:43:57 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've got a Yamaha P-85 & UX-16 and can play/record through ALSA with
> aplaymidi and arecordmidi.  Not sure what's the next step.
> http://linux-sound.org/ has a ton of stuff but a lot of out-dated
> stuff.  I'm at kind of an information overload.
>
> My immediate goal is to be able to use the P-85 as a controller for
> software produced sounds through some software synth.  Any tips or
> suggestions?

I looked into this earlier this year and I found this is one of the few
areas where the OSS software is just no where even close to the commercial
software. Call it "consumer to mid-level professional audio composition and
playback."

I downloaded the trial of Sequel 2 by Steinberg, which is an entry level,
consumer oriented tool and was blown away. Even on my son's underpowered
computer (relative to the suggested specs) it was doing some pretty amazing
stuff and my 8 year old was mixing tracks and composing some (to him) cool
music using the onscreen tools and our USB keyboard.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'd be delighted to be wrong, but I haven't
seen anything like this in the OSS world, regardless of the operating
system. Maybe the Linux world has been hampered because of our moving-target
audio infrastructure (oss/alsa/pulseaudio)

--
Matthew Nuzum