[Cialug] MIDI anyone?

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 22:55:41 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Nathan C. Smith<nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
> We have a Yamaha piano with MIDI connections

On that note, I got the Yamaha UX-16 ($42 on Amazon).  There are
cheaper ones (sub $10) but I wasn't sure if they were supported.  It
uses the snd-usb-audio ALSA driver (SND_USB_AUDIO for 2.6.29).  My
primary audio card is a built-in nvidia AC97 chip (an intel 8x0
driver) so that's card 0 and the UX-16 is card 1.  Relevant config:

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 enable=1 index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options and-usb-audio enable=1 index=1

options snd cards_limit=2

To use it:
$ aplaymidi -l
 Port    Client name                      Port name
 14:0    Midi Through                     Midi Through Port-0
 20:0    UX16                             UX16 MIDI 1
$ aplaymidi beethoven_furelise.mid -p 20:0

Pretty easy looking back on getting it setup. :)

Colin