[Cialug] New Opera features

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Jun 18 09:54:40 CDT 2009

I've not played with it.  Security issues are reviewed (very briefly) at
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9134511&source=rss_news

In a nutshell:

* It requires opening port 8840 to your PC, so you still have
complexity.
* It shares stuff without encryption.
* The password is part of the URL and easily sniffable.
* It requires Opera's proxy servers to function.

Really, I don't see what this adds.  Most people sharing stuff are
using third party services.  If you are so security conscious that you
don't want to put your stuff on a third party system, then odds are that
you wouldn't trust Opera's proxy servers either.  Also, odds are that
you are skilled enough that you can pay your $5.00/mo and get website
hosting somewhere (or just build your own server).

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Allen Kiddoo <adk at 52761.com> 6/17/2009 09:53 PM >>>
http://unite.opera.com/

Has anyone else played with this yet. What are going to be the
security
issues?
I am sure the RIAA has not endorsed it.

I tried the media player- little buggy but it works.

Allen Kiddoo
Ioway Record Printing Co.
316 West Third St.
Muscatine, IA 52761