[Cialug] Codes: =3D %20

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jun 17 09:41:55 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Todd Walton<tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> What's with the "=3D" that I sometimes see?  I think it's HTML maybe
> being converted... Something to do with character sets?...
>
> I know that %20 becomes a space in URLs.
>
> What is all this called?  Where can I find out more about it?

In your browser's address bar you can type this URL to see what the
character is:

javascript:alert(unescape('%3D'));

Or if you have firebug, console.log(unescape('%3D'));

In this case it's an = and is probably being encoded because it has
significance in the source. Maybe the last character of an email
message line can't be a space or an = so they get encoded to =20 and
=3D.

--
Matthew Nuzum