[Cialug] Proxy servers for Iran

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Mon Jun 15 18:11:15 CDT 2009

If you are adding this to an existing server, yes, you need iptables.
It should be included with most modern distros and should have a GUI or
TUI that you can use to configure it if you don't want to hack on files
in /etc/sysconfig.

However, if you are building a dedicated box to do this, it's important
to realize that it'll probably only be needed for a few weeks.  By then,
the situation should either be resolved or your IP will be blocked by
Iran.  In that case, just turn off all services except for squid and let
it run sans-firewall.  If you wait too long, it won't do anyone any
good... and if all it's doing is a proxy, there's nothing on it to
protect anyway.  (Well, nothing that YOU would care about... and I
suspect that the twittering Iranians have bigger concerns than someone
in the US knowing their twitter password.)

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Todd Walton  06/15/09 4:40 PM >>>
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Josh
More<morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> If you are politically minded (globally) you might want to read this.
> It's a very short HOWTO for setting up a proxy server so that Iranian
> citizens can get news out to the rest of the world:

It says at the end that you should set up iptables as well.  I warily
admit that I've never done this.  Is it part of the default CentOS or
Ubuntu server install?

--
Todd