[Cialug] ALSA, intel8x0, and controlling digital volume

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 19:21:16 CDT 2009

I've had this box for some time now and have never bothered to figure
this out.  I've got an nvidia CK804 AC97 audio chipset on gentoo.
ALSA is set up for intel8x0 with nothing special for a config.  It all
"works".  That said, what I would like is the master volume to control
the digital output (i.e., IEC958) in addition to the PCM output
otherwise the analog out to my monitor speakers don't volume track the
digital out to my receiver.

(My usual solution around this is to do `mplayer -af volume=8` or
whatever to adjust the digital out and adjust analog to fill nicely.)

Any one know the answer or have a clue?

Colin