[Cialug] Fwd: ARM Ubuntu netbook

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Jul 31 09:36:53 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM, TJ Vance <crazyjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was under the impression UNR was only for atom-based machines, as a
> repackaged distro anyway.  Something about using MOBLIN code for power and
> speed optimisation, but I know you can install the netbook launcher
> interface and related through synaptic.

Intel and Canonical do work together on Moblin but UNR is a completely
separate product. Moblin is a new internet appliance UI for netbooks, UNR is
more of a hybrid, "make the desktop work on smaller screens" UI.

My coworker told me this yseterday:

> I held it for a bit and it was very light and I felt no heat coming
> out of it. They don't have power management worked out, so it only had
> 3+ hours of battery life .... on a 2 cell battery. He said the target
> date was a Christmas launch in the UK for ~$200 US(!) dollars.

That's pretty sweet imho. $200 for an 8 hour device.

My question is will this be a consumer item that anyone can buy at the store
or is it going to be bundled with a service agreement and a data plan?

Also, who is the market? W/out parental controls it's not going to be
powering Mickey Mouse netbooks.

Furthermore, what's the profit margin going to be? There's got to be some
way to make money off this or it won't work.
--
Matthew Nuzum