[Cialug] Fwd: ARM Ubuntu netbook

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jul 29 09:26:10 CDT 2009

The ARM netbooks are about ready, here's a hands on:

A little about the device … it is 10.1 “netbook” powered by two cell battery
and an ARM Cortex-A8 running about 800MHz. They are extremely light and are
made thin because they don’t generate much heat. These are not production
units and are considered engineer samples...

...this device rocks and I can definitely see a bright future. The installed
OS is Canonical’s Ubuntu 9.04. WiFi and Bluetooth are working; I was able to
get on my home and work networks using Mozilla Firefox 3.0 for the browser.
A level of Adobe Flash was working so Youtube worked, but without the video
acceleration it was not as smooth as it can be. Drivers should be here in
the next two weeks … I will just have to wait. Power management should be
ready soon too … it is doing well without it though. Getting about 4 ½ hours
on a 2 cell battery with the screen at full brightness and WiFi powered on,
that already beats anything else out there. I expect much better battery
life when the power management software is implemented. The semiconductor
company said, they are getting 8 – 10 hrs on the design with the power
management working…