[Cialug] Launchpad goes OSS

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Jul 21 17:04:21 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 4:22 PM, David Champion <dave at dchamp.net> wrote:

> Nobody's mentioned this today...
>

> http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/07/21/1224259/Canonical-Fully-Open-Sources-the-Launchpad-Code
>
> I'm guessing Matt has been a pretty busy guy today. Or is all the
> activity on this just in the Blogs?

Well, I was up working on the pr until midnight but in all the excitement
and being surrounded by people talking about it I forgot to mention it here.

I haven't had time to check out the code yet but I hear it's the largest OSS
zope app. As a matter of fact, I believe that the planned for (but
ultimately not needed) delay to the release was to switch the bzr archive
over to a new format that decreased the size of the tree down significantly.

I've never seen the code so if someone gets the gumption to check it out I'd
love to hear how it goes. I know Mark and Canonical both are very very
serious about this and want to emphasize this is not a token gesture but
they really want Launchpad to become a thriving open source project. Not to
shift the development load onto the community (like some abandonware
projects do) but to allow the community to help drive new features and
improvements.

Note that it is AGPL3. Probably one of my least favorite OSS licenses but
from an OSS purist's point of view one of the most potent.

--
Matthew Nuzum