[Cialug] Crazy brainstorm volunteer idea

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Sun Jul 19 14:02:30 CDT 2009

I think it's a good idea.

At a guess, I'd say that we need, at minimum, someone(s) willing will
donate two hours each evening for on-site tech support and maybe four to
six hours on Saturday and Sunday.  (I'm just guessing at library time
usage.)  If we can get enough people to say "I'm up for volunteering X
hours / week", I'd be willing to bring the issue up internally and see
if we can't get some olders computers together for this project.

Once we have enough people and computers, I think we should approach the
libraries with the offer.

Does anyone out there really want to run this thing?  I think either Ken
or I could do it pretty easily (it's just scheduling, really), but if
anyone specifically wants the experience (and resume padding), I'll
gladly step aside.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> kristau <kristau at gmail.com> 07/18/09 12:47 PM >>>
Just read the following story and had a crazy idea:

http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-unemployment-numbers-071709,0,5537441.story

Maybe CIALUG could volunteer to provide extra computer systems
(running Linux, of course) and technical support to the Des Moines
area Libraries?

Discuss.

--
Tired programmer