[Cialug] long term storage

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 13:16:42 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Thomas Kula<kula at tproa.net> wrote:

> Oh, yeah, that's my entire point, though. Who cares if 200 or
> 2000 years from now you can read every bit off a storage device
> exactly as it was put down on the storage device if you have
> no idea what those bits mean, or (to bring interpretation into
> it here) if the Future thinks they know what those bits are
> supposed to mean but they are off?

Both are problems that are necessary to be solved (I'm not discounting
that) but the reading is the technical limitation while the
interpretation, I see, is more the social problem.  Maybe JPEG & RAW
will be forgotten in 20 years in favor of JPEG10e8 + DNG2015 which
means I need to convert before then.  Maybe JPEG is the end-all,
be-all form of images which means the interpretation is covered.

Colin