[Cialug] Linux & DivX

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 21:39:52 CDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM, <jrnosee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone worked with encoding divx in linux?  I've got video (avi, mpeg,
> etc) files (some in older divx codec encoding) that I want to re-encode in
> newer divx for use with my xbox360 (the ones already in DivX are too old).
> Can anyone recomend a good DivX converter for linux?  I tried DivxConverter
> but I had issues with it.

In general, I also use mplayer/mencoder for video stuff.

$ mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:mbd=1:vpass=1:v4mv
-passlogfile foo.log  -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=standard -info
"Name Here" SOURCE -o DESTINATION

And repeat for vpass=2.  Not sure if that exact config will work for
xbox but it suits me.  `man mencoder` for 7000 line man file full of
info.

Colin