[Cialug] Fwd: News Alert: Google Plans to Introduce a PC Operating System

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jul 8 10:27:43 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:13 AM, David Champion<dave at dchamp.net> wrote:
> That's pretty much already happened. I saw an article last week, saying
> that the only place you can get Linux on a Netbook from a US retailer
> was at Toys R Us, and that was for a limited amount of clearance models.
> All new models ship XP on them in the US.

Retail storefronts pretty much all sell Windows netbooks. This is
because Linux on netbooks is as much a threat to the Best Buy as it is
to Microsoft (because BB makes their money on add-ons).

> There may be other non-traditional outlets that ship Linux versions. Or
> maybe the article was wrong... has anyone seen a current model Linux
> netbook for sale recently?

Dell and HP are selling bunches of them.

There are numerous vendors preparing ARM based netbooks that will ship
either Ubuntu, Android (or apparently Chrome OS) or Windows Mobile. As
a matter of fact, Google is putting themselves in competition with
Intel on this by supporting ARM. (Intel has their own netbook OS
called Moblin that only works on Atom cpus)

--
Matthew Nuzum