[Cialug] Fwd: News Alert: Google Plans to Introduce a PC Operating System

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Wed Jul 8 10:13:53 CDT 2009

Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Todd Walton<tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That Google is expanding Chrome into an operating system is exciting.
>> But, really, a New York Times news flash?
>>
>> And I daresay the "direct challenge to Microsoft" thing is a bit
>> overblown.  It's intended for netbooks, a yet contested market.
>> Saying it's for the "PC" is disingenuous.
>>

> Is Google expanding Android to cover netbooks in addition to cell
> phones maybe?  At least in the short term this seems like a good thing
> - we need an 800lb gorilla behind a Linux-based OS to keep that other
> 800lb gorilla from forcing Windows onto every netbook.  If people
> actually want Windows on a netbook I'm OK with that but people should
> have a real choice...

That's pretty much already happened. I saw an article last week, saying
that the only place you can get Linux on a Netbook from a US retailer
was at Toys R Us, and that was for a limited amount of clearance models.
All new models ship XP on them in the US.

There may be other non-traditional outlets that ship Linux versions. Or
maybe the article was wrong... has anyone seen a current model Linux
netbook for sale recently?

-dc