[Cialug] Distro choice

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Thu Jan 29 15:48:06 CST 2009

For what it's worth, i second this. Also for what it's worth, i used Red
Hat for a number of years, then switched to Debian because of various
problems i had with Red Hat itself (RPM dependency hell for one--i
understand that's not so much an issue these days though). But for
someone just starting out, one distribution is really as good as
another. Once you learn one really well, then it isn't too difficult to
learn the differences between various ones and pick up another. I'm
quite happy with Debian both on my servers (those that don't run
OpenBSD anyway) and on my desktops, but i wouldn't actually recommend
it for a beginner unless they truly want to learn a lot about various
aspects of system administration.