[Cialug] Distro choice

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Jan 28 22:31:20 CST 2009

I agree that it's frustrating for users to be stuck at older versions,
and I agree that Ubuntu gets better with each release.  However, I think
that we as a community, do a HUGE mis-service to new users when our
default answer is to change distros.  We have to actually work on
solving the problems.

To use the standard computers-as-cars analogy, when the little engine
light in my Honda Accord lights up, and I take it in, the service people
do not tell me to go out and buy a Toyota.  They tell me what's wrong
and how to fix it.

This group has a lot of Linux skill.  Let's work on actually fixing the
systems and not derail the discussion with talks about distros.  At this
point, unless you use Linux day in and day out (as I do and as Matt
does), the distro choice really doesn't matter much.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> 01/28/09 10:22 PM >>>

I think this is an OK statement for someone who needs the benefits of
the LTS release, such as corporate clients. For a typical desktop or
home user or a Linux enthusiast being stuck on older versions can be
very frustrating. (case in point, it makes it harder to get support) I
encourage people to use the newest stable release. For example, if
you'd use the previous LTS version you'd be stuck on Firefox 1.5 until
Firefox 3.0 was out (8.04 LTS had FF3).

They really do get better with each release. Just my opinion.

--
Matthew Nuzum