[Cialug] Pressing a button remotely

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Wed Jan 28 15:42:34 CST 2009

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> If you wanted to open your garage door or turn something on or off
> from a remote location what would you use to do it?
>
> Looking for something easy and low tech to switch a dry contact, push
> a monetary contact type of switch.  I would like to be able to access
> it via http, or SSH, maybe by phone.
>
> I've used X10 style stuff in my house before but I think I have too
> much interference on my power lines (thank you compact fluorescents)
> to trust X10 any more.

Since you mention http and ssh, I'm assuming that you have a suitable
machine available and suitably connected...

...so how about plugging one of these into a USB port and using it to
control a relay?

<http://www.emtcompany.com/catagories/usb-to-parallel-adapters.htm?gclid=CLLg9fybspgCFR0SagodeVFNVQ>

(mind the wrap)

--