[Cialug] 'nother question

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Tue Jan 27 14:04:13 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:30 PM,  <jrnosee at gmail.com> wrote:
> not having a lot of luck on google/irc with this one.  Since we have some
> MythTV users I was hoping someone might know.  I'm trying to get LIRC set up
> using the onboard ir port.  from what I've read it *should* work, but here's
> what I'm getting.

> Is there any way to see what could be using this port (that doesn't exist)?

I've not had any luck with onboard ir. They get recognized as serial
ports because they're IRDA. The recent versions of lirc supposedly
support irda ports and I've noticed it recognizes the port but nothing
happens. I think my brother's HP laptop was able to use the onboard ir
port though - I remember Ubuntu giving him the "binary driver" warning
for lirc. His came with a small express-card sized remote.

> My tuner board has an ir "eye" I could plug in too.  It looks like lsmod is
> finding it and putting it under ir_common.  I'd prefer not to use this one
> as the other one on the mobo is hidden nicely in the case.  Could they be
> interfering with eachother?

I've used the USB ir box that came with my PVR150 and it works
perfectly. I don't have it configured to my current computer but it
worked when I tried it last a little over a year ago. Note that on
mine there are two piecees... the one with the USB port is the IR
receiver, there's also a little piece with a long cord that plugs in
like a headphone jack that is an IR sender for controlling other
devices. I didn't try it out.

--
Matthew Nuzum