[Cialug] Active Directory comes to Linux with Samba 4

David Bierce david at bierce.org
Mon Jan 19 17:28:22 CST 2009

Yes.

For the past couple of months I've been using the samba4 git repo
nightlies and it is very far from finished.  It can act as a DC.  It
serves up files, has an AD schema and integrates with bind.  It
doesn't have many features working beyond that.

There are lots of missing things like printing and a user backend that
isn't the imbedded lbdb.  It does have basic support for the holy
grail of an AD environment, GPOs.

Since they haven't decided how their going to configure the thing,
user documentation is kinda scarce.  It has the potential to be
awesome, but like someone else said, it's like the Duke Nukem of the
FOSS world.

Dave