[Cialug] Mediawiki Migration

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Jan 14 16:16:04 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Question: If I'm leaving one Mediawiki installation and setting up
> another (this is not an in-place upgrade) how do I keep my pages?
>
> Answer:
>
> on the old install:
>     mysqldump -u root -p wikidb > wikidb.sql
>
> on the new install:
>     mysql -u username -p
>     create database wikidb;
>     grant create, select, insert, update, delete, lock tables on wikidb
>     mysql -u username -h sqldb-hostname -p wikidb < wikidb.sql

That should do it... I've done this myself just recently.

> Question: Does anyone know how to restore a MySQL database that was
> created on a web hosting provider and deleted about a year ago with no
> backups made of it?

Borrow Bill & Ted's phone booth, go back in time, and make a backup of it?

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"