[Cialug] Ubuntu in NYT

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Mon Jan 12 00:26:42 CST 2009

Todd Walton wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Allen Kiddoo <adk at 52761.com> wrote:
>
>> Here tis the real thing on NYT site-
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/business/11ubuntu.html?_r=2&th&emc=th
>>

> Ah!  I had happened to read that story earlier today.  I agree, it's a
> good write-up.  It gives a good overview of the state of Linux to
> someone uninitiated, but without falling back to the same old cliches.
>  One bit of meat in there...
>
> =========================
> "Mark [Shuttleworth] is very genuine and fundamentally believes in
> open source," said Matt Asay, a commentator on open-source technology
> and an executive at the software maker Alfresco. "But I think he's
> going to have a crisis of faith at some point."
>
> Mr. Asay wonders if Canonical can sustain its "give everything away"
> model and "always open" ideology.
> =========================
>
> I think that kind of negative comment is a pretty easy thing for
> someone in the peanut gallery to throw out there.  Mark Shuttleworth
> has done a *lot* for FOSS and I respect him.  That comment kind of
> makes me think of someone watching Michael Phelps swim in the Olympics
> and saying, "At some point he'll be too old to swim."
>
> -todd

Not everyone in the F/OSS community is thrilled with Mr. Shuttleworth...
I posted a blog link a while back by one of the Mandriva staff, also
pointing out that his business model is not sustainable, and my be
hurting companies like Mandriva and RedHat who are trying to make their
bread and butter on Linux services and support, who also give a lot
back, but don't have the fortune of having a billionaire feeding them money.

-dc