[Cialug] Slackware

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Tue Jan 6 23:32:54 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 4:09 PM, David Champion <dchampion at visionary.com> wrote:
>> I haven't actively used Slackware since probably mid 1995. It was kind of a
>> pain to install back then. I can get you a copy of my old CD if you'd like
>> to try it. I still have the CD, saving it just in case we ever want to
>> install it just for fun.
>
> I remember Slackware being surprisingly easy to install.  I had gotten
> such "ooh-scary" vibes about Linux, that I was surprised to go
> enter-enter on the keyboard and having a working Linux system.

I too have a slackware CD from about '95 (wuarchive cd set). I seem to
remember the packages were very easy to install. Just cd / and then
tar czvf package.tgz.

It was uninstalling that was a pain. I remember countless times
accidentally unpacking to my home dir and getting ~/var ~/usr ~/lib
folders. One time in particular stands out because I was attempting to
clean up these folders and did rm -rf /usr (oops, should have been
~/usr). I thought to myself, wow, this is taking a long time. !!!!!
ctrl^c ctrl^c ctrl^c. (it was too late of course)

--
Matthew Nuzum