[Cialug] Python and timezones, or lack thereof

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 08:16:15 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> A friend/coworker wrote a really awesome date handling library that
> can handle time zones. Its open source and generally pretty highly
> regarded. I've not used the timezone portion of it but I have used
> other feature of this module and felt it was well thought out and
> implemented. maybe it can help you:
>
> http://niemeyer.net/python-dateutil (look for the tz module)

I went ahead and used pytz.  I didn't actually look but it appears
that pytz includes its own timezone information in pickle'd files,
which I found disappointing.  Nor could I find a way for it to yank
out the local time zone.

That said I'll keep python-dateutil in mind when I find a need to
delete pytz. :)

Colin