[Cialug] Python and timezones, or lack thereof

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 16:57:31 CST 2009

I'm doing some date work in Python and have discovered Python's
attitude toward timezones as rather......unimpressive:

"Note that no concrete tzinfo classes are supplied by the datetime
module. Supporting timezones at whatever level of detail is required
is up to the application." --
http://docs.python.org/library/datetime.html

I interpret that as meaning they don't even want to *try* (can't
entirely blame them) so if I want to deal with timezones I'm 100% on
my own.  Spiffy!  It would seem that pytz
(http://pytz.sourceforge.net/) is my new best friend.

Any comments/suggestions?

Colin