[Cialug] Routes? Interfaces?

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 10:44:58 CST 2009

I would picture the interfaces as the doors to the building, and the
routes as the path needed to get somewhere. If you leave by the front
door, you take a different route than if you leave by the front. If you
picture a building with access to the skywalks, the outside, and the
garage, you can get a good idea of how it works.

Now on a computer, each interface can be on the same network, and have
the same routes, or they can be on completely different networks, with
different addresses blocks, and rules.

It is possible that the two interfaces open to the same network (think
double doors), and thus you would use the same route. It is also
possible that they are different networks (think sidewalk versus
skywalk) and require a little different routing.

Jeff