[Cialug] Routes? Interfaces?

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Fri Feb 27 09:59:37 CST 2009

Its like eating lunch in downtown DSM at the "hub".

You are the packet of data.  You just had lunch and your default route
back to work can be via anyone of a number of interfaces. The skywalk
interface, the sidewalk interface, the porsche boxer interface.

Each time you reach an intersection there is a default direction (route)
to take. You just travel along taking the default routes until you
happen across the front door of your office building, at which point the
bellman grabs you and throws you on the elevator that wisks you up to
your office.

:) Dave

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 09:41 -0600, Josh More wrote:
> And for a non technobabble answer:
>
> Interfaces are like interstate ramps.  Routes are like the maps.  If you
> have a car (packet) that needs to get to work, it needs to know the
> right ramp (interface).  It looks at the map (route) to figure this out.
>
> Of course, the analogy falls apart when you realize that in this model,
> it's the ramps that push the cars along.  A train analogy would track
> better, but we'd have to add in some sort of automatic coupling and
> decoupling algorithms, and then would only work so long as we ignore
> packet fragmentation (which would be unpleasant were you in the train
> car at the time).  So I use cars instead.
>

> -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
>  morej at alliancetechnologies.net
>  515-245-7701

> Can someone explain to me what the difference between a route and an
> interface is?  You can have a route with no interface, but can you
> have an interface with no route?  What good is one without the other?
>
> -todd
___
Dave J. Hala Jr.
President OSIS, Inc.