[Cialug] Quake Live is out of Beta

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Feb 25 11:26:50 CST 2009

It's a big deal because it's basically Quake Web 2.0.

After all, it's webby, has IM and a "beta" label.  What more do you
need?

(I've not been there, as I'm not a gamer, but I'll bet it has rounded
corners too.)

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> David Champion <dave at dchamp.net> 02/25/09 11:17 AM >>>
I got accepted for the closed beta, but didn't play it because of the
lack of a Linux version... and my Windows gaming box was under the
weather at the time.

I also don't really "get it", why this is such a big deal. It's Q3A with

slightly tweaked graphics, and a built-in friends / chat / lobby area.
You can achieve pretty much the same thing by using a service like Xfire

(sorry, Windows only) and ioquake.

I am looking forward to Id's next project, Rage. It's a very Mad Max
inspired FPS with vehicles and stuff.

-dc