[Cialug] Partition table gone

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Sat Feb 21 22:19:03 CST 2009

On Saturday February 21 2009, you wrote:
>On Feb 21, 2009, at 1:09 PM, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>> If you think taking the first 512 bytes from another disk and
>> slapping it onto the front of my disk would fix the problem, that
>> would certainly be faster than my idea. I'd be willing to give it a
>> try if you can send me those magic 512 bytes.
>
>I don't particularly think it will work, but at 512 bytes it can't
>hurt to try. Attached, uncompressed.

THANK YOU!

That 512 bytes did it. The machine boots now. Linux fdisk now reports
partitions, but they are wrong (i assume they are the partitions from
the machine you pulled those 512 bytes from). I know rEFIt has an
option to sync the various partition maps that exist on an Intel Mac;
probably that will fix the inconsistency. But before messing with it,
i'm going to make a backup.

>I think your copy data off, reparation, copy data back plan is a good
>bet. Slow as all getup I'm sure, but it sounds like it will work so
>long as nothing else is corrupted.

Imaging the disk took 5 hours, 49 minutes. I'm not sure why it was quite
so long. I realize that it takes time to read a 320 GB notebook drive,
but 6 hours seems a bit too slow. Copying over 100 Mbit ethernet
shouldn't have imposed any real limitation. The destination drive on
the destination machine is slow though; Western Digital has (had? -- i
don't know if they still make it) a 1 TB drive that spins at 5400 RPM.
Supposedly it varies between 5400 and 7200 based on usage, but in
practice it is consistently slow. I bought it because i thought it
would be quiet. It is indeed quiet, but dog slow, especially at
writing. Since the TB drive is the one i use for backups, i don't
actually care about speed so it works for my purposes. I'm glad though
that i don't have to copy the MacBook image back. Still, now that i
have the image and your magic 512 bytes that makes it bootable, i'll
keep the image file around until i get the machine back exactly as i
want it. At least now it is useable again and it will be easy to work
with.