SFD (was Re: [Cialug] Meeting Tonight!)

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Feb 18 12:42:32 CST 2009

Something else that I'd like to bring up for the meeting.

Software Freedom Day is WAY in the future, yet somehow it always manages
to sneak up on us.  This year, I'd like to do something different.

A lot of users/businesses have specific problems.  I think that it would
be neat if we can build quick and dirty open source solutions to these
problems and demo them at SFD (or earlier if folks want).  It would be a
great way to help out the community, promote Linux, and possibly get
some of our underemployed members some paying work.

In particular, I'm thinking of:

* OpenFiler for file storage
* Dans Guardian for web filtering
* Alfresco (maybe) as a content management tool
* SugarCRM as a CRM app
* MediaWiki as an Intranet

I'd like see if there is interest at tonight's meeting and if so, do a
quick brainstorming.  Then, if anyone is interested in working on demos
(and reaping the "rich" rewards that come from future consulting
engagements ;), they can claim their tech and get a good demo working.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Dave Weis <djweis at internetsolver.com> 02/18/09 12:33 PM >>>

I think wrestling or something is in town now so arrive early enough to
fight for a parking spot.

Josh More wrote:
> Just a reminder that we have a Linux meeting tonight, same time, same
> place.
>
> The topic tonight is "legal stuff", but I would also be open to
> discussing security tools, as I recently returned from a conference
> about such.
>
> As always, Linux issues and/or problems can trump the planned
> discussion, so feel free to bring up anything (peripherally related to
> Linux, of course).
>

> -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
>  morej at alliancetechnologies.net
>  515-245-7701