[Cialug] 'nother question

Don Cady doncady at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 00:25:11 CST 2009

-snip-
> 2.) I've recorded a couple of HD mpeg2 streams, but I've noticed that liveTV
> or recoded playback puts my CPU at or over 100 in top.  Is that normal?  I'm
No.
> running a 3ghz HyperThreaded P4.  The video is usually kind of choppy, and
> I'm still trying to sort out my playback settings.  I'm using a GeForce FX
> 5500 card w/ nVidia 173.x drivers and I can't get XvMC to work. (black
> screen, locks frontend)
I'd think you should be able to playback one stream with that CPU
(assuming you're not short on ram..), as I've heard of people doing it
with less, but I don't have an HD setup to compare, so I won't swear
on it. I remember a page charting what the recommended hardware was
for the various levels (480, 720, etc)on the Mythtv site, but can't
seem to find it :(
Have you tried underscanning? see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_HDTV#Nvidia
Yes, XvMC is tricky to get working. I had to find the right
combination of Myth playback settings and xorg settings to get it
working. See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XvMC and whatever the
equivalent mythbuntu forum is.
A member of the mythbuntu support team showed up in the irc channel
last week, so we invited him to our next mgt. If he does come, he
might be able to help you out.

re previous comment @ xfs; Mythbuntu has likely chosen xfs as a
default because it generally does much better with large files. I
manually switched mine to xfs from ext3 and saw a noticeable
difference on certain operations (ex- deteting files)

note to others running Knoppmyth (I know a couple others are..) - the
next version, due at the end of this month, will seriously change the
distro. Since the passing of one of the BDFL's, they have decided to
regroup, base it on Arch, and change the name to LinHES.

Don