[Cialug] Linux Does Not Support "Live File System" DVDs

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 09:09:26 CST 2009

A new optical media filesystem format called UDF is intended to
replace ISO 9660.  Most DVDs you buy these days are in UDF.  Linux has
had support for most versions of UDF for a long while now.

Beware: Windows Vista (and probably 7 when it comes out) has embraced
and extended the UDF format into something they call "Live File
System".  It treats a rewritable DVD like a flash drive, letting you
drag and drop with a burn being done every time, versus one single
burn when you've got all the files you want together.

Linux supports the UDF standard.  Linux does not support "Live File
System" formatted discs.  So, I've got to figure out a way to get the
data off a set of discs I have.  I don't expect Linux support anytime
soon, so I'll probably load these discs on a Windows computer and
re-burn or send them over a USB cable or something.

-todd