[Cialug] March == Zimbra

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Fri Feb 6 09:17:16 CST 2009

On Thursday February 5 2009 22:42, Josh More wrote:
>There has been some interest in having a meeting about Enterprise Open
>Source email solutions, so I'm altering the schedule somewhat.  In
>March, the meeting topic has been changed to be about Zimbra.  If you
>are interested in helping with the presentation, please reply to this
>email.  I know of one person who has committed, but he'd like some
> help.

I'm involved with Zimbra at Drake. We have about 8 or 9 thousand
accounts. I'd consider attending the March meeting even though
Wednesday is the one weekday evening when i have other commitments.
However, for the March meeting i'll be in Hawaii. Coincidentally, once
the time zones are factored in, right about the time the meeting starts
is when my wedding starts. So, i probably won't be thinking much about
either Zimbra or Linux. Sorry.

Some things i can say about Zimbra though:

It works. Very well. For a small organization, it could easily act as
the master directory service in addition to doing e-mail, calendaring,
instant messaging, and everything else Zimbra does. Here we have a
legacy LDAP service that everything authenticates to, so rather than
have Zimbra be authoritative we configured it to authenticate off of
the existing LDAP. That configuration is supported and works well.

If you go with the network (paid) edition, take Zimbra's memory
recommendations and double them. RAM is cheap, but downtime caused by
memory exhaustion is not (especially when it is the weekend and you'd
rather be doing something else). Zimbra makes heavy use of java. Not
having programmed in that language, i'm not sure if java is inherently
leaky in its handling of memory, but Zimbra likes its RAM. Version
5.0.8 had some rather nasty leaks, but since upgrading to a newer
version some of the memory issues have gone away.

Do not put your mailstores on a slow NAS with a GFS2 filesystem. It
sounded like a good idea at the time, but it is horrendously slow.
Deleting 1 days worth of backups takes 3 hours. And the daily backup,
frustratingly, takes more than a day. As soon as we can find the money
for a faster disk arrangement, we're migrating to that and probably
switching to the ext3 filesystem. I just shudder to think how long mail
will be down if fsck needs to run against 2 terabytes of storage. Even
if it is split up into multiple partitions, that's still going to take
awhile. In the mean time i hope no one needs something restored from
backup...

If someone is setting up a large-ish installation i could probably give
some recommendations about hardware to buy. We have a total of 7
servers. 2 are redundant LDAP servers, 2 are redundant MTA servers, and
the remaining 3 act as a cluster (with 2 active and 1 failover nodes)
for the mail stores. Except for differing amounts of RAM, the machines
are almost identical. But if i were setting Zimbra up again, i'd use
the LDAP servers for something else and get slower machines to replace
them. Or maybe run the LDAPs virtualized on the same hardware they are
on now but in concert with some other VMs. Basically the LDAP servers
don't need to be as powerful. The MTAs are a bit underutilized as well.
It is really just the mailstores that need a lot of horsepower. For
small installations with just 1 Zimbra server, well, i guess i'd say
just make sure it has a couple CPUs (or cores) and plenty of RAM.

For a better idea of hardware, our 2 LDAP servers have 8 GB RAM, of
which about 1/2 GB is actually used. 1 GB would probably be adequate
once caching is considered. The MTAs each have 16 GB, of which 2-3 GB
seems to be in use. The mailstores have 24 GB, of which 8 GB is in use
now. With a slightly older version of Zimbra we'd often see 20 or 22 GB
in use (after running for about a week). Usually at around 22 GB Zimbra
would wedge so hard it couldn't be restarted through software and the
machine would have to be power cycled. All these machines have dual
quad core CPUs (8 cores total), but the LDAPs and MTAs could easily get
by with 2 cores. It is really just the mailstores that see much load.

If anyone has any specific questions about running Zimbra, let me know.