[Cialug] Lots 'o questions....

jrnosee at gmail.com jrnosee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:43:16 CST 2009

Ok, so I've finally gone w/ 2 640GB drives and have ext3 fs set up on them.
This is running on 7.10 server (until I find a good way to update and keep
VM up to date w/o re-install) so i have no X/gnome/kde/etc.  What I'd like
to know is there any way to install the standard gnome interface, but only
have it and X running when I want it to (i.e. running headless, so I just
want to start X/gnome and turn on a VNC server, then stop it all when I'm
done).  I'm a bit more familiar with the gui tools for a lot of things than
I am cli...like setting up samba.  Also, does anyone have a good tutorial
page for setting up rsync?  Is there a decent gui for it in ubuntu &
windows?

Lastly, I could use some help with partitions, fstab, and moved
os/partitions.
I origionally installed the system on a ide drive and used a sata drive
mounted to /var/vm to hold vm's.  I've since coppied the ide partitions to
the sata and now for some reason have a oddly ordered drive.  /dev/sda1 is
still /var/vm (but it's the last partition on the drive physically) then I
believe it's /dev/sda3 is / (first physically) /dev/sda2 is an extended
partition with /dev/sda5 inside it as swap (no /dev/sda4).  Is there any way
to change the sda* designation to actually match the physical disk?
/dev/sda3 is *NOT* in my fstab however, my old /dev/hda* partions are.  How
does my system know where to mount /dev/sda3?  I can only figure something
updated the uuid's in my fstab and I can't tell. (BTW...how do you find a
drive's UUID?)

Here's my fstab (before adding the two new drives)
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/hda1
UUID=f9a8e1cb-3964-4b11-9a48-db21f89f1d3b /               ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/hda5
UUID=53627fd2-e8a4-443b-bcbb-0390e3fbc60d none            swap
sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec 0       0
/dev/sda1       /var/vm         auto    defaults        0       0

Thanks all!!!

--Justin