[Cialug] podcast downloaders

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Wed Feb 4 10:46:39 CST 2009

I don't think its going to happen.  I think the real issue is not a
cheap open device. The issue is universal open connectivity. You need to
be able to get on the net anywhere, using any type of connection.  When
that happens the devices will just pop up everywhere.

Too bad google didn't do wireless access everywhere on the planet.

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 10:41 -0600, Nathan Stien wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:11 AM, <ewenix at raccoon.com> wrote:
>

>         While you see some of that functionality
>         available, I would say it's not mine in the Make magazine
>         mindset.
>
> Well said.  I'm sure many of us on the list share this mindset.  I
> want to be able to change everything about the phone, not just write
> sandboxed applets.
>
> Linux kernel hacker Harald Welte recently discussed the G1 phone's
> lack of true openness on his blog.
> http://laforge.gnumonks.org/weblog/2008/12/09
>         I still think it's extremely weird that you actually buy a
>         device, and then don't own it. I would have no problem if the
>         device is rented from the manufacturer or the mobile network
>         operator. Sure, then in this rented device, only they control
>         what kind of software you use. But this is not the case.
>         People buy it, pay money, legally own the device but
>         technically don't.
>
> - Nathan
___
Dave J. Hala Jr.