[Cialug] Network slowness

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Feb 3 14:24:00 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Anthony Jeffries <ajeffri at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just out of curiousity, does the OP have an Actiontec DSL modem? I had one
>> of those that insisted on listing itself as the first nameserver and it gave
>> my Linux machines a several second delay resolving hostnames.
>
> If that's the case and it is the cause of his problem then changing
> the dns setting at the router to opendns will greatly improve Linux
> performance but will speed up all the computers on the network as
> well. (I've done this)

If you choose OpenDNS please be aware of the consequences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opendns#Privacy_issues_and_covert_redirection

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"