[Cialug] Network slowness

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 20:18:37 CST 2009

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but does nslookup return quickly?

$time nslookup www.yahoo.com

If this is slow, double check the file /etc/resolv.conf. It should have
something like:
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.1.1

only with the IP of your nameserver. I would compare to the settings on
your windows box (*shudder*). If that file looks fine, I would go back
to nslookup and test each nameserver and see if one is slow or timing out.

I would also try something like :
$ traceroute www.yahoo.com
and see if there are any particularly slow hops. Your name server may
also be a good IP to traceroute ;-)

Again, forgive me if this is too basic, I would rather start with the
'obvious' though.