[Cialug] Web Work, HTML Question

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Fri Dec 18 18:48:52 CST 2009

HTML Tables for non-tabular data?  Nooooo! :)

Tables do make it much easier to position stuff, but there are a lot of
problems with them too.  They're not "accessibility" friendly, and they can
get unreadable quickly.  I've seen people put tables within tables, within
tables .... far too deep to be readable.  If at all possible, DIV and SPAN
and P are much more preferred.  Tables got over-used, and they're becoming
the bane of web pages, even though a lot of places (Yahoo, for example)
still use them.  Unfortunately, a lot of examples found on the internet
still use tables.

I'd like to make one other suggestion.  Do something like the following:

One, it ties the text to the input box.  If the user clicks the text, the
input box should get focus (on a checkbox, clicking the text will actually
toggle the checkbox).  Two, if someone is using a screen reader, it will
announce the text as a label to the input box.  At least, that's my
understanding.  I've not actually seen a screen reader for the visually
impaired.  But accessibility does seem to be a growing need.

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/