[Cialug] DNS-related Question

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart at aol.com
Fri Dec 18 10:41:32 CST 2009

Well, it looks to me like OpenGoo in its config file asks you to set
the root URL hardcoded. So it will bring up my page if I log in from
outside with the public IP, but when it returns the next page, it is
returning it prefixed with the hard coded root URL which of course is
my LAN IP address and is not valid over the internet. So, that was why
I was trying to do something where I put sub.my-domain.com in the hard-
coded URL and then try to configure DNS somehow so that it can find
the right IP (LAN or Internet) for sub.my-domain.com depending on my
location.

Looks like my best options are configuring DNS, trying your dnsmasq,
or configuring a VPN. There are only 3 of us on my team who need this
kind of access, so I'm looking for the least pain solution. :-) Which
of the three do you feel has the best security and least configuration
headache of the three in your experience? I've never had to do this
before so that's why I ask before I get myself into something too
complicated. :)

Thanks,

Stuart