[Cialug] Git 'philosophy'

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Fri Dec 18 10:39:53 CST 2009

L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, David Champion wrote:
>

>> It seems to me like maybe what you're trying to do is more geared to a
>> centralized system like SVN or CVS.
>>

> I svn and cvs and i"m pretty suer neither would like separate
> repositories, .. the main problem here is allowing me to work from 2-3
> different machines while preserving the integrity of the 'main' repository
> for other folks.
>
> 	Lee

Hmm... is the issue that you want to work from the 2 or 3 machines
without doing commits?

Using SVN, you can keep files on a removable media, transport it around,
and do a commit when or wherever you are.

If the reason for having two repos is you want to maintain a different
"branch" than what someone on the client is working on, then SVN does
allow for branching as well. If you're both working on different parts
of the same project and / or want to merge your changes together, well,
that's just part of the normal operation of SVN.

-dc