[Cialug] The Paranoid Foreign Traveler (WAS: OT: Macbook for sale)

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 10:15:29 CST 2009

Perhaps combine what we have discussed?

A second, encrypted partition on a flash card that contains your important,
super-secret files. When crossing customs, just slap the card into a camera,
and take a few pictures to camoflage?

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:10 AM, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Dave Hala Jr <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:
> > I thought the point was to get through the security checks without being
> > "detained"...
>
> You may get in without being detained by carrying in a blank laptop
> then practicing "cloud" computing, but you also need to get out again.
> If they've monitored your traffic and deem our activities "suspicious"
> in any way, they may still decide to detain you while you are still in
> the country or as you are trying to leave.
>
> (yes, I'm playing a bit of Devil's Advocate here)
>
> --
> Tired programmer
> Coding late into the night
> The core dump follows

Jeff Chapin
President, CedarLug, retired
President, UNIPC, "I'll get around to it"
President, UNI Scuba Club
Senator, NISG, retired