[Cialug] OT: Macbook for sale

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Dec 15 20:36:41 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 7:16 PM, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> > Having just returned from overseas, my strategy was:
> >
> >  * Spare computer (light weight, long battery),
> >  * clean OS install
> >  * All important files on a thumb drive
> >  * All private files on a hidden, encrypted partition on the thumb drive.
>
> You're missing a plan for what you would do should either your data or
> you become compromised. By that, I mean any one (or more) of the
> following:
>
>  * You are detained but told you will be released in exchange for the
> password to your encrypted files.
>  * The device(s) containing your encrypted files are confiscated, and
> you are sent on your un-merry way.
>  * Your encrypted files are copied and you are sent on your slightly
> less un-merry way.
>
> Oh, and by "you are detained" I'm including everything in the range
> between "not allowed to leave" through "threatened at gunpoint" and/or
> "physically harmed."
>
> Discuss ;)

True. The only thing I have of value is my GPG keys. And really, the only
reason why I'm paranoid about them is because of the inconvenience of
revoking them and then creating new keys that are well signed.

I'd love to hear suggestions for how to be even more paranoid. What I have
now does not get detected by Mac OS or Windows computers so it looks like it
works (my presentations and family photos and stuff are on the unecrypted
area).

--
Matthew Nuzum