[Cialug] Ubuntu 9.10 roaming mode

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Dec 9 09:03:38 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Mathew R. Phillips
<mathew.phillips at wartburg.edu> wrote:

> Ok this question is directed towards matt just because it can but i have a
> friend thats trying to get wireless going on his netbook. He has the
> broadcom driver installed and all that jazz but for some reason it seems
> that "Enable Roaming Mode" option has disappeared from Network Manager in
> 9.10... any ideas how to get that setup?

I've not used this, nor have I ever known what it is. Googling tells
me that the purpose is to enable you to easily move from network to
network. I can attest that I've been doing this for a while now, and
never used roaming mode. As a matter of fact, to get my broadcom
chipset working after installing I had to plug into my router's
ethernet port. Once I rebooted it detected the wireless so I unplugged
the ethernet and moved upstairs.

So maybe roaming mode does something else, if it does I'll be happy to
ask the network manager admin about it. But as I understand it, it's
integrated in well enough that you don't need it now.

--
Matthew Nuzum