[Cialug] DVD burner issue

James Shoemaker james at dhlake.com
Wed Dec 2 12:15:22 CST 2009

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> I have a DVD burner that has developed a strange issue. It can burn
> exactly 1 DVD per power cycle. Attempts to burn a second disc resulting
> in the drive locking itself, writing just enough to waste a disc, and
> blocking IO on the write process such that "kill -9" won't even get rid
> of it. A soft reboot isn't sufficient to clear it; a full power-down and
> cold reboot is necessary. This is on Debian Testing (amd64) with a
> 2.6.30 kernel.
>
> Has anyone seen this? My initial guess would be that i need a new drive,
> but i'm not convinced that guess is correct. When i boot up i get these
> in the kernel log that don't look good:

   I saw a similar issue and it ended up being a hardware issue, I
replaced the burner and the problem went away.  Since it was an external
burner I could power cycle it without bouncing the whole computer, but
it would only burn one DVD per reset and I never figured out why.  at
the price of DVD burners I didn't work too hard to figure out either.

James