[Cialug] Windows Security

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Sun Aug 30 14:44:51 CDT 2009

This is a mix from various clients that are covered by various
regulations (HIPAA, PCI, FTC Red Flag, SOX).  They're all good practice.

* Basic OS hardening
* OS and application imaging
* Antimalware with HIPS and local firewall enabled (looking at doing NAC
soon)
* Forced policies that prevent wireless bridging (i.e., if local LAN
card is active, wireless cannot be)
* Full disk encryption
* Folder encryption for PII data
* Full audit trails on all systems that contain PII
* Regular user account audits
* Regular vulnerability scans
* Regular patching
* Physical locking cables for desktops
* Disable laptops from suspending, requiring people to actually turn
them off and on
* Looking at DLP solutions, nothing chosen yet.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Kevin C. Smith" <kevin at linuxsmith.com> 08/30/09 2:36 PM >>>
I know this is WAY off topic.

I've been revisiting our securing Windows procedures, etc.
I was wondering what people do at their work place to secure their
laptops, and workstations.
We are covered by HIPAA and I'm interested in hearing from others that
are also.