[Cialug] low speed cellphone data plan

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 16:12:31 CDT 2009

Last time I set up DUN (dial up networking) tethering with my cellphone,
it was as simple as 'yum install blueman' then running blue man and
pairing it with my phone -- at which point NetworkManager noticed I had
a new device it could manage. I simply selected the 'Verizon' radio
button, and I was off running, no further setup.

This was at EVDO speeds, so a little faster than what you are looking
at. The last time I looked at prices, it was about $2/MB for pay-as-you
go, $60 for unlimited (see foot note).

Jeff

*footnote* Verizon both refuses to admit that at least some of their
phones are capable of tethering  *AND* are still willing to let you pay
for it if you want. As far as I can tell by 'not able to do tethering'
they mean 'we want you to buy a new, more expensive phone' as I had no
trouble finding the drivers on the LG site, and installing them in 2
different flavors of windows, and using either the USBcharger/VCAST
cable, or blue tooth. In linux it is even easier.