[Cialug] Bing

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Aug 25 00:09:56 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Jeff Davis <me at digitaljeff.com> wrote:

> Hmmm..... a search string of:  att email block 550
> on bing.com gets you what you want listed second in the results.
> The same string on google doesn't even have it in the first page.
>
> I still use google as my primary, but lately I've been testing the
> result set returned at the MS engine.

There is a lot of good discussion on this lately. Some of the techniques and
algorithms being used (presumably) are a bit controversial but it boils down
to the simple conclusion that MS has decided to get competitive and is
putting some excitement back into the world of search.

(the controversial stuff is that Bing suposedly optimizes for search queries
that have high value for advertisers and markets)

--
Matthew Nuzum