[Cialug] [OT] Solaris books

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Fri Aug 21 14:07:47 CDT 2009

I was recently in a similar position.  The resources that I used are
bookmarked at http://delicious.com/guppiecat/solaris .

I don't think that you really need a book per se.  Just plan to spend
about a day reading about each of the following:

* svcs, svcadmin.  Look at logging and dependency resolution.  In
particular, look at disabling everything and then enabling just the ones
you want.  It's a bit of a pain, but the up front work makes everything
else a lot easier.

* ZFS.  Read about this a lot.  Many many things tie back to it.

* Zones.  There's not much to it, really.  Just think of them as
isolation mechanisms instead of a virtualization technology.

Also, your life will be a lot easier if you install
http://www.opencsw.org/ .  You'll be able to install most of your tools,
and then a slight alteration to your user and root PATHs, and all of
your regular tools will be there for you.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Daniel A. Ramaley" <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> 08/21/09 1:34 PM >>>
In the near future my involvement with Solaris will be increasing. I am
very familiar with Linux (especially Red Hat and Debian and some of
their immediate derivatives), and have worked a bit with Solaris 7, 8,
and 9.

The earlier versions of Solaris seemed to me like a primitive Linux
distro; the standard base utilities (even as basic as "ls" and "grep")
sort-of worked but didn't have all the features i expect. Most system
administration seemed standard Unix but the package management was
light-years behind Linux. So i can usually figure out how to do things
on Solaris 9 and earlier, though it is more convoluted than on Linux.
Usually if i install a large collection of GNU ports from Sunfreeware
then the system is sane enough that it isn't *too* difficult to work
with...

Solaris 10 is a very different beast though. I need to learn it. The way

it does even such basic things as restarting services is unique (and
both very fragile and rather opaque). And i know nothing about
configuring zones. Any suggestions for Solaris 10 books or other
learning materials, coming from a strong Linux or OpenBSD perspective?