[Cialug] OT - Python Question

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 09:17:29 CDT 2009

Worked on it last night and finally figured out a solution. Your
comment plus several comments from others focused on the encoding
issue, so I did a hex dump of the export file and found out what the
codes were and then used a replace (data.replace('\u____', u'\x__') to
switch for the equivalent in the lower ASCII set. That did the trick
to avoid any of the strange symbols. For some strange reason, RTF was
not reading the Unicode curly quotes, etc. So, it was just simpler to
replace them all with normal quotes, etc.

I did try pyrtf (an unmaintained RTF solution for Python) but it kept
crashing Word or OpenOffice. So I just downloaded the spec for RTF and
then took one of our files, converted it to RTF and tried to find the
codes that I needed for this specific implementation. Not as flexible,
but it works for the purpose it was needed for ... for now. :)

Thanks!

Stuart