[Cialug] Infragard Meeting - August 19th - Getting Started with ISO 27000

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu Aug 6 10:04:38 CDT 2009

On Aug 6, 2009, at 9:46 AM, Todd Walton wrote:

> I was unclear in my formatting.  But I don't think HIPAA is a
> methodology, per se.  I was actually referring to the security stuff
> the Pabrai guy was doing.  I was including HIPAA just to correct the
> female hippo spelling.

I'd say that HIPAA is as close to a methodology as you get with
government work. It's mostly about setting policies and documenting
practices, with the goal of enforcing and recording a specific
rational and standards with regard to the management of HI. It's
perhaps not as well specified as other, more scientific methodologies
-- it is constructed by lawyers under the direction of HHS after all
-- but the obvious intent is to require a discipline in the practice
of HI management.

	Zach